We’ve started to gather a bit of information by talking to the building departments of unincorporated King County in Snoqualmie, and of the city of Tacoma.
- Materials: You need an architect and engineer to approve your plans and show that it’s safe and structurally sound.
- Electricity: In order to be completely off-grid, you might have to ask for a variance and prove that your system will be able to provide for all your appliances.
- Water: You might need approval from the Department of Health to be able to use rainwater for drinking and to be off the water grid.
- Food: Shouldn’t be a problem.
- Sewage: You might need approval from the Department of Health to be able to use grey water to flush the toilets, and either Dept of Health or Building Department to get a septic permit for black water.
Please join our discussion forum and let’s work together to build up our knowledge base regarding permits in various areas of Washington State.